Tuesday, December 9, 2008

READ NOW POWER UP

I'd like to thank the reading committee for showing up this morning at 7:15 for our "virtual" meeting. As soon as Wendy sends me the demo passwords, I'll make sure I forward those. I will also ask Wendy for references so we can maybe go see the program in action. Please post your initial reactions and any unanswered questions you may have so I can make sure we have all of our questions answered. You can post anonymously and then just add your name to the end of your message if you'd like. So...Initial reactions???Questions???

9 comments:

  1. I like the program--especially the integrated questions in the text. How will it be implemented? Will we use it in lab class? Will we establish a reading class for struggling readers?

    Sorry I was late this morning--I thought it started at 7:30.

    Steven

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like several areas of the program. I really enjoy that the books are high interest but still low leveled. I'm not excited that the questions and phonics are not read to the students.

    Rachell

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Committee would need to discuss where we would use it. It could be used as part of a lab class, but probably will be used for a separate class with struggling readers. The lab classes should be geared toward helping kids read to learn the classroom content...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the program; I like all of the different areas a student can use to learn which provides the teacher feedback. The variety of books, etc. was nice as well. Who will teach this class? How will we decide which students get to be in it? I have quite a few students who have low reading levels that would benefit. If we have the need (and I'm quite sure we do), will we have more than one section offered?

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. All great questions that the committee would have to discuss and consider what would be best for the school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe upon first impressions that it would be much more engaging for our students. It also targets several different learning styles so that it would benefit a wide range of learners. I think we will find ways to get all of our struggling readers help with this program. We could provide after school tutoring, double block of reading, along with possibly differentiating during LA instruction with the program.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought the program had a lot of good elements but it appears to be totally computer driven. Where does the interaction with the teacher come in? Many students just answer these computer generated questions without much thought, just guessing. I would hope there would be a "teaching" component as well.

    Fay

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see the program as a good tool to utilize in lab class. Many of the students in lab are below grade level. This program would be easier to monitor with a smaller group. I don't see using it in the larger class setting.

    ReplyDelete