Hopple's
Happenings
at
Lincoln
Junior High School
PEOPLE
SKILLS
As
educators, we commonly talk about meeting the needs of all children
throughout the day and the school year. I believe there are four
basic needs that all students and adults must possess:
- The need to feel welcome. (Welcome them)
- The need to be understood. (Show understanding)
- The need for comfort. (Make them feel comfortable)
- The need to feel important. (Make them feel important)
How
are you currently meeting theses needs of others? Are there ways you
can improve in any of these areas? As teachers, principals,
custodians, and instructional staff it is important to remember
PEOPLE SKILLS DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
Teacher
Feature:
Beth Corbett-
As
I was sitting here thinking of clever ways to start off my awesome
biography, I figured that most of you already know me pretty well!
Let’s start off with a few things everyone at Lincoln might NOT
know about me...
1. Although I seem very organized and on top of things...my room at home was always a mess.
2. My original degrees (from college) are in Elementary Education and Special Education K-8.
3. The most important thing I learned in college is that I am very gullible when it comes to things my dad taught me growing up...so embarrassing!
Now on to the good stuff. I am a Plymouth kid, born and raised. I graduated from Plymouth in 2006 and attended Taylor University. I also coach Freshman Volleyball at the high school and am the Assistant Jr. High Girls Track Coach! (Up until this year I was also the Girls and Boys Assistant Swim Coach at the High School as well!)
I ended up at Lincoln when Dan Funston begged me to take Rachell’s maternity leave two and half years ago. I had ZERO intention of teaching at the middle school level and was holding out for an elementary job. About a week before school started I realized that I was not going to be teaching elementary and took the maternity leave. Thank goodness I did! From Day 1 I was caught up in the “whirlwind” of teaching middle school, but loved every minute of it. My first year I taught 7th Grade Special Education and then 7th Grade Science on a second maternity leave. Although some days were challenging and a few tears were shed, I knew that I had found a home at Lincoln. When the opportunity arose to stay in 7th Grade science permanently I quickly (and with a smile on my face) took the Praxis test to be certified and accepted the position. I cannot thank Dan and Angie enough for giving me the opportunity to work with such awesome people. It has been an adjustment to work with so many teachers who taught me, and see them on a professional level (I still don’t call some by their first names...Mr. Read).
This year I decided to take on the challenge of PBL, two grade levels, oh and a pregnancy! (I am a bit ambitious at times.) I absolutely love what I am doing. I love getting up and coming to work every day (usually before Riley if that counts for anything!). There are many reasons why I love my job, but simply put it’s the people. The teachers, administrators, students, parents, staff, and everyone else that walks through the front doors.
Although I am taking some time off this year, I know that I will be more than ready to come back in February to see my colleagues and students! (I just might need to bring the baby with me!)
Thank you to everyone who has already made the last two and a half years so awesome, and
I am excited to see where the future goes!
BTW if you ever need a snack...I have plenty in my room! (Even when I’m not pregnant.)
1. Although I seem very organized and on top of things...my room at home was always a mess.
2. My original degrees (from college) are in Elementary Education and Special Education K-8.
3. The most important thing I learned in college is that I am very gullible when it comes to things my dad taught me growing up...so embarrassing!
Now on to the good stuff. I am a Plymouth kid, born and raised. I graduated from Plymouth in 2006 and attended Taylor University. I also coach Freshman Volleyball at the high school and am the Assistant Jr. High Girls Track Coach! (Up until this year I was also the Girls and Boys Assistant Swim Coach at the High School as well!)
I ended up at Lincoln when Dan Funston begged me to take Rachell’s maternity leave two and half years ago. I had ZERO intention of teaching at the middle school level and was holding out for an elementary job. About a week before school started I realized that I was not going to be teaching elementary and took the maternity leave. Thank goodness I did! From Day 1 I was caught up in the “whirlwind” of teaching middle school, but loved every minute of it. My first year I taught 7th Grade Special Education and then 7th Grade Science on a second maternity leave. Although some days were challenging and a few tears were shed, I knew that I had found a home at Lincoln. When the opportunity arose to stay in 7th Grade science permanently I quickly (and with a smile on my face) took the Praxis test to be certified and accepted the position. I cannot thank Dan and Angie enough for giving me the opportunity to work with such awesome people. It has been an adjustment to work with so many teachers who taught me, and see them on a professional level (I still don’t call some by their first names...Mr. Read).
This year I decided to take on the challenge of PBL, two grade levels, oh and a pregnancy! (I am a bit ambitious at times.) I absolutely love what I am doing. I love getting up and coming to work every day (usually before Riley if that counts for anything!). There are many reasons why I love my job, but simply put it’s the people. The teachers, administrators, students, parents, staff, and everyone else that walks through the front doors.
Although I am taking some time off this year, I know that I will be more than ready to come back in February to see my colleagues and students! (I just might need to bring the baby with me!)
Thank you to everyone who has already made the last two and a half years so awesome, and
I am excited to see where the future goes!
BTW if you ever need a snack...I have plenty in my room! (Even when I’m not pregnant.)
Dates
to Remember:
Nov.
2- Itunes University Training
Nov.
5th-9th- Algebra Predictive Acuity A
Nov.
7th- Faculty Meeting
Nov.
12th-16th
Horizontal Week
Nov.
26th-30th
Predictive Acuity MA/ELA
Nov.
27th- Family PBL Night
Nov.
30th
Progress Reports
Just
A Thought. . .
“If
you want your children to improve, let them overhear the nice things
you say about them to others.” Hiam G. Ginott
No comments:
Post a Comment