Monday, December 3, 2012





Hopple's Happenings
At
Lincoln Junior High School

Surprised to see an empty seat at the Super Bowl stadium, a diehard fan remarked about it to a woman sitting nearby. “It was my husband's, the woman explained, But he died. I'm sorry, said the man. Yet I'm really surprised that another relative, or friend, didn't jump at the chance to take the seat reserved for him. Beats me, she said. They all insisted on going to the funeral.
As educators, you have the opportunity and responsibility to shape the hearts and minds of our students. As we deal with students daily, we need to be reminded what our priorities are? First and foremost it is the students we service here at Lincoln. We must continue to move our students forward both academically as well as emotionally. As we start a new month, we must remember students and Team Lincoln come first.

Teacher Feature:
Josh Winrotte- I would love to begin with a witty quote or an amusing anecdote, but I really instead want to share a story.  There once was a kid who loved basketball more than any other sport.  He spent hours in his driveway pretending to play for the greatest university in the whole world (Purdue.)  He hit so many game winners that the Hoosiers eventually refused to come play in his driveway, at least in his mind.  When it came time to try out in 6th grade he was told he was too short and slow and he needed to just spend his time in band.  In 7th grade he was told, “you don’t know how to play on a team and I don’t have time to teach you.  He was the manager for his 8th and 9th grade teams and was allowed to play a few minutes at the end of each game but rarely got to practice or be instructed.  He was the last player cut his sophomore, junior, and senior seasons, each time told he wasn’t good enough, tall enough, or fast enough.  The kid floated through high school giving just enough to get by at everything.  He tried the same thing in college and lost his scholarship. He was lost and spinning.  His Mom suggested he try substitute teaching.  He loved it and realized he could be around kids, something that he desired.  He decided to go back to college.  He went to a small college.  He tried to walk on to the basketball team.  A coach that was willing to teach brought him on.  By his junior season he was a starter and team leader.  He realized his real dream was to teach and coach, students like himself who just needed someone to believe in them and to work with them.
My mom and my college coach saved me from what I could have been.  They showed me the value of doing something you love, and working at it with all your heart.  I have been blessed with a wonderful wife of 9 years named Mandee.  I have 2 beautiful daughters named Bella, who is 4, and Nora, who is 2.  I was able to come to Plymouth this past summer and realize a dream of living back in my home state.  I relish the chance to work with the students here at Lincoln and cannot think of anywhere  I would rather be.  
In 8 years of teaching I have taught all grades, six to eight, and every subject available.  I have always believed the statement that fits me best to be:
You are doing your best only when you are trying to improve what you are doing.” -Unknown
Every day we must improve upon who we want to be tomorrow.  Be the one that encourages a kid to improve the next day.  You never truly know the impact you can have.

Happy Birthday Wishes to:


Mrs. Derifield and Mrs. LaFree



Dates to Remember:

December 4th- PBL meeting LJH auditorium
December 5th- Wrestling call out meeting at LJH
December 8th- Speech at Indianapolis
December 10th- Band Dress Rehearsal
December 11th- Five Star
December 12th- Faculty Meeting
December 17th- Choir Christmas Concert


Just A Thought. . . .

Some people Dream of Success, while others wake up and work hard at it.
Anonymous


No comments:

Post a Comment