Hopple's Happenings
At
Lincoln Junior High School
As we head into the last nine weeks of the school year, I would like everyone to revisit these tips to having a successful finish to your year.
1. Be the example. Set the level of what you expect from your students.
2. Be before time, not on time. You are the leader.
3. Keep learning. Read something new everyday.
4. Be prepared. Know what you want to do for that day.
5. Get to really know your student’s. Teaching is about individual connection and people.
6. Be enthusiastic. Give energy.
Teacher Feature:
Betsy Barron- Believe it or not, I was an extremely shy and introverted child. I was the youngest of 7 children in my family and afraid to try anything new. When did that all change you may ask? I remember my father telling me I could not go to school until I started to speak to people. The transformation didn’t really occur until my 3rd grade year when I moved to a new school. My teacher was the kindest person I had met (outside of my family) and she welcomed me to my new school with open arms. Immediately, she recognized my talents in the classroom and I was driven to impress her. My new school grouped students by ability and it didn’t take long for me to settle in with the “smart” kids. Right or wrong, this concept gave me the confidence I was lacking and I began to flourish, both academically and socially. The introduction of sports around the junior high years also increased my confidence level and I started to blossom. I was now somewhat of a “class clown”, but in a good way of course. I continued to excel in the classroom and in athletics up through high school. My father was the Principal of my high school, which of course explains why I was Class President my junior and senior years and on the varsity volleyball, basketball and track teams, or so some claimed. I admired my dad for all his accomplishments in education, as a teacher, coach, Principal, and eventually Assistant Superintendent, and I knew I wanted to have a career in Education too.
After winning a state championship my senior year, I accepted a volleyball scholarship to Valparaiso University. Although I thoroughly enjoyed my years at Valpo, my dream to be a math teacher was slowly fading away after I failed Calculus for the 3rd time. I wanted to quit and change my major, but I knew I wanted to teach, and math was my favorite subject. I knew I could help kids understand those difficult concepts that sometimes just don’t make sense. My math teachers were really intelligent geeks that couldn’t reach kids, and I knew I would be different. I ended up transferring schools at Christmas my junior year and finally passed Calculus! I went on to successfully conquer Calculus II, III, and IV on my way to getting my degree from Indiana University – South Bend. Although challenging at times, college was a great 7 years!
I did my student teaching at Plymouth High School in the early 90’s, where my new husband, John, was a young teacher and assistant football, wrestling and track coach. We moved to Plymouth a year earlier and knew instantly this would be a great place to raise a family. The Blueberry Festival alone was a big enough draw to this community, but the successful schools and especially the pride in PHS athletics made this place a great fit for our family. My mother (class of ‘47) was also born and raised in Plymouth, so I had roots here.
I officially began my teaching career at Rochester High School teaching math and computer programming. This was my first real introduction to an actual computer, so I came up with cool projects and my students showed me how it was done. They were amazing! Rochester was very advanced and we were the first school around to have INTERNET and EMAIL! It was all a bit overwhelming. The next year, I went back “home” to teach at Mishawaka High School and I stayed there for the next 3 years, teaching side by side with some of my own high school teachers that I truly respected and admired. At this time, I had my 3rd child, Jack, who joined sisters Meredith and Meagan. I decided to work closer to home and took a job at Triton High School for the next 2 years. I came to Lincoln the following year, knowing that Plymouth was where I really wanted to be. Plymouth Schools had such a great reputation and I wanted to be a part of that great tradition. I wasn’t sure at first about teaching middle school students, but now I can’t imagine any other age group. I coached volleyball the first 6 years I was at Lincoln and I really enjoyed having that interaction with kids outside the classroom, but the addition of child #4, Joe, brought that career to a screeching halt.
14 years later, I am still enjoying life at LJH. I have watched my oldest 3 children come through the school and truly believe this is a great place for kids. I have worked for 3 different principals in those years and I am officially one of the “older” teachers on staff now. I am amazed by the talented young and enthusiastic teachers that have joined us the last couple years, and I will always remember the ones I learned so much from when I first got here; many that have moved on to a more peaceful existence called retirement. I love how at the start of this year we became a team here at LJH. I hope that continues. I love the spirit Mr. Hopple and all the new teachers have brought to our school. We have been given opportunities to step up and be leaders if we choose to be. We are constantly being challenged to strive to be our best… way farther than I ever thought I could push myself. I finished my Master’s program last year and am on the verge of an exciting world called New Tech coming up. I have already seen so many changes in education and technology during my career, and I can only imagine what will be coming next. Losing my mother last fall, I was reminded that life is short and you only live once (YOLO). If you do it right, though… once is all you need!
Happy Birthday Wishes
Katie Kappler, Jake Singleton, Theresa Bodnar
Dates to Remember:
April 2nd- 6th grade Orientation(Open House)
April 3rd- Horizontal Meeting
April 8th- Course forms due for incoming 8th graders
April 9th- New Tech Night
April 10th- Faculty Meeting
April 13th- LJH Music Dept. Craft Show
April 19th- Spirit Assembly- Exploratory Team
April 29/30- ISTEP Multichoice Assessment
Just A Thought. . . .
“High achievers perceive risk as opportunity. They visualize the rewards of success rather than the penalties of failure.”
- Dan Zadra
No comments:
Post a Comment