Hopple's Happenings
At
Lincoln Junior High School
How do you ensure you put forth your best effort every single day?
What are you doing today, right now, to be at your best?
How will you consistently measure and keep score of your effort on a daily basis?
These are all important questions. As we are coming to the close of our school year, it is important to remember that I expect your best daily. That means continue to make good choices and decisions daily, work hard to model that positive attitude toward your students, and be the best teacher and friend that you can be to everyone. If we want our students to continue to give their best effort, then we must continue to give them ours. As Mr. Gault said in our Spirit Assembly on Friday, let’s Finish Strong.
Teacher Feature:
Katie Kappler- Teacher, Spartan alumni and fan, cyclist, world traveler, and a little bit crazy. I suppose if I had to label myself these are the words that most come to mind. So much of who I am comes from my love of teaching, but there is so much more to me than that!
Growing up in Grand Ledge, Michigan, about 35 minutes away from Michigan State University, I’ve experienced the green and white culture since I was born! As both of my parents are Spartan alumni, MSU’s campus was like a second home to me. And ever since I was little girl playing school with my Barbies and stuffed animals, helping out with Vacation Bible school, or being a cadet teacher my senior year, I knew deep down I wanted to be a teacher. I fought it though; I really did. Before I made a decision about college, I applied to almost every major university in Michigan, and I even considered the Air Force. I wanted to keep my options open and be 100% sure I was making the right decision for my life. Since I was a typical 18 year girl with a mind that runs a mile-a-minute, I knew choosing a university right away was not the wisest plan. So while my love for Michigan State was still very real, I decided to attend Lansing Community College on a full, two-year scholarship to take my basic credits and let my heart and mind come together in a more concrete decision for my future.
After two years at LCC, I did eventually transferred to Michigan State to major in Elementary Education with a focus in Language Arts. As you can imagine, I loved every minute of being a Spartan (so much so that I’m now working on my Master’s in Educational Technology from there!). In addition to being a lifelong Spartan fan, MSU also has the #1 education program in the United States. I felt very privileged to be a part of something so great! One of my most memorable experiences was when I was able to participate in a study abroad program to Tanjung Malim, Malaysia. The summer before my student teaching I traveled to the other side of the world to live with a Muslim host family, learn about education, and teach in a local school. And let’s be serious: I also spent some time in Thailand vacationing, riding elephants, hiking and swimming in waterfalls, and ziplining through the jungle! This is by far one of the most challenging and interesting times of my life! When I returned from my study abroad, I completed my one-year (yes, a whole year unpaid!) student teaching in a 6th grade classroom. It was then and there I knew I was a middle school teacher for sure!
Many people wonder how I ended up in Plymouth, Indiana. Sometimes I wonder than myself! I often tell people it was really just luck, as I had applied to schools in over 20 different states in the U.S. I was going to find a job, dang it! Only a few weeks before school, I received a random and somewhat frantic call from Dan Funston asking me, “Do you have a job yet?” And while I’d had a few offers, no job had been accepted yet. So I drove the two hours and forty-five minutes to Plymouth, interviewed for the ENL position, and voila! Here I am. I have truly loved my four years at Lincoln Junior High school!
When I’m not being a teacher, I love to ride my bike, travel to faraway (and nearby) places, and read young adult novels. I’m a Twitter fiend, an avid cornhole player, and I’ve recently become a Crossfit junkie. I’m most looking forward to a relaxing summer working on the house and camping in southern Indiana!
And let’s be honest: I’m going to seriously miss the staff of Lincoln Junior High next year!
Happy Birthday Wishes
Beth Corbett, Chelsea Bramfeld, Phil Scott, Bob Garrity
Dates to Remember:
May 22nd Track / Golf Banquet
May 23rd- Stat 8th grade 7:15 am
Stat 7th grade 3:15pm
May 23rd- May 27th D.C. Trip
May 28th- Lincoln Awards Night 6:30pm
May 30th Last Student Day
Just A Thought. . . .
“People are as happy as they make up their minds to be.”
- Abraham Lincoln
No comments:
Post a Comment