Monday, February 24, 2014

Evidence of a Learning Culture

Some responses to "What did looking at the questions both teachers and students ask during your observations make you think about?"

How much the teacher leads answers from students.
Students really didn't understand questions or point of lesson.

Almost all of the questions I heard students asking were clarifying questions about instructions. No one was asking about the content itself or displaying curiosity in the subject matter. It was all: "What am I supposed to be doing?" "How do I do this?" etc. It made me wonder how many kids were really engaged in the lesson and how many weren't really paying attention and just wanted to know what they had to do to get it over with. Almost all of the teacher's questions were either Level 1 Recall or behavioral cues for students to get back on task.


It makes me think that we are addressing some of the needs in the classroom but not all of the needs.


how to direct thinking to a higher level on the DOK.

What should a teacher strive for on DOK questions, an equal balance or more upper level Q's?

It made me think that I do ask a wide variety of questions, but I could always ask higher questions that don't always have specific answers. I could have students share their questions with each other before asking the teacher.


Some responses to: "When participating in your triad what kind of feedback are you offering to your triad? What strategies have you emphasized?"


I believe I am offering feedback that they can use to their benefit when teaching. I tell them what I like and give them on ideas that could be useful in the lesson. I believe that we all offer different types of feedback. I have an elementary background and my other members have a secondary background. This helps us see different perspectives on our lessons. We discuss a lot about how we are going to assess our students on information from the lessons.


what we see, maybe from a perspective that the teacher doesn't have - more that of the student.


Literacy is my focus and I was able to let ways to improve both reading and writing in SS and Math. IT has been helpful to also hear from others what ways to incorporate content with the LA skills.


The feedback I give is either positive (I like) or questioning nicely (I wonder). I will give a suggestion if I have one, but I don't speak negatively at all. I feel I listen well and am supportive of the lesson presented.


I have offered feedback in how to change a lesson, add to it so struggling reading can benefit more from the lesson. I have emphasized the positive aspects of the lesson as well. Strategy suggestions have included close reading methods, questioning and checks for understanding.


The feedback I have mostly given is about changes is in the lesson plan, like suggesting using a graphic organizer as away of organizing a writing assignment. I always think of the special education aspect of teaching and try to use that point of view when giving feedback. Most times in the initial general education lesson plan, accommodations are not always considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment