From Author Eric Jensen:
If you hold an object and it doesn't bring you joy, then what should you do? According to Marie Kondo, author of best-selling The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, if you hold an object and it doesn't bring you joy, you let it go.
Really?
Educators tell me, “I have testing coming up soon, I don’t have time to go through my stuff. There is just so much stuff to go through. Where would I even start?”
You’d be surprised: give or throw away just one thing a week from your classroom or office. Yes, JOY can be found at your school, if you ask the “Joy” question.
Here are 3 ways to get you started:
Step 1
You use many strategies daily, as we all do. Ask yourself, “Is there one strategy that is NOT delivering joy (with a high effect on student learning).”
Are you still praising students by saying, “Good Job” in your work?
Using public behavior charts that diminish trust between student and teacher that are trying to shame students into better behavior?
Step 2
You employ many beliefs daily, as we all do. Ask yourself, “Is there one belief that is NOT delivering joy” (maybe it’s a limiting belief that holds your staff or students back).
His brother was not a great student, so I don’t have high expectations for him.
It’s OK if not all ELL students are at grade level.
Step 3
You engage many feelings daily, as we all do. Ask yourself, “Are there feelings that I can notice and reduce that are NOT delivering joy (maybe it’s a disappointment, frustration, or holding a grudge that holds yourself back).
“I get so angry at that kid. It seems like she’s trying to make my life miserable.”
“That teacher just ignored me in the staff meeting; I am so mad!”
These 3 steps are just scratching the surface of the JOY that can be sparked at your school.
No comments:
Post a Comment